Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday at the Ballet

Joel and I had to leave pretty early on Sunday after our weekend of bliss in the bavarian town of Leavenworth because I was attending the Pacific Northwest Ballet's premiers of the Forgotten Land and Emergence with Petite Mort, Sechs Tänze (Six Dances) that afternoon.

Via

I have season tickets to the Pacific Northwest Ballet (PNB) with my sister Jackie, my mom and my aunt Karen. I had already missed the first show of the season due to schedule conflicts so I was trying really hard not to miss another show, even if it meant missing out on the Seahawks game against the Vikings.

I was able to keep up with the game using the ESPN app on my phone, even though Jackie was giving me hard time. You are a girl, at the ballet and you are checking on football scores? Are you kidding me! But I was only checking in on the game during intermissions and Aunt Karen was doing it too! Besides, I had to make sure the boys were doing okay while I wasn't watching!

Via

Here is what the PNB website has to say about the performance I saw last night:

This month PNB cranks up the heat with red-hot premieres by Jiri Kylian and Crystal Pite. In Jiri Kylian’s haunting Forgotten Land, an eroding seascape evokes memories of things loved and lost. Sensational choreographer Crystal Pite marks her PNB debut with Emergence, a powerhouse ensemble piece kindled by provocative imagery. Sharing the program are Kylian’s Petite Mort, a sensual, gold-washed duel for six couples and six fencing foils, and Sechs Tänze (Six Dances), “an 18th-century court gone delightfully mad…a frothy joy that constantly charms” (Seattle Times). Featuring the PNB Orchestra.
 
I often struggle for the right words when I try to describe my reaction after seeing a show. Ballet is more of an all encompassing experience for me and sometimes that can be hard for me to express in words. I know that I enjoyed the show and was fascinated during the performance of Emergence (which includes the first picture in this post and the one above this paragraph). Here is a short clip featuring the end of Emergence.
 
 
I am really excited for the next performance, which will be Sleeping Beauty in February. Who knows, maybe I can talk Joel into going to see Nutcracker with me again. I love seeing the PNB perform the nutcracker - it just doesn't feel like Christmas without the story of the Nutcracker prince!
 
Oh - I almost forgot! After the show, as we walked over to Thai Heaven (where I Joel and I ate just a few weeks ago), I noticed these sweater wearing trees. I don't know why, but I like sweater wearing trees. I think they are kinda neat. So enjoy this little visual bit of fun and warmth.
 
 
I hope you all had wonderful weekends!
 
XOJO

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to the Nutcracker? The PNW ballet puts on a GREAT show... and Steve Pool from KOMO plays a part in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a cool show! I've only ever seen the Nutcracker at PNB, except for that one time I went with you. It's awesome that you get to go all the time!

    Sarah @ Life As Always

    ReplyDelete