Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mushrooms, Cubicals, and Car Sales

What a crazy day! It is only 10:00pm, but I am already so tired that I don’t know if I have the energy to brush my teeth.

I started my job this morning. I spent the day learning their database, sprinting to the bathroom on the other end of the building, running queries, and formatting reports. I am enjoying the job so far. Everyone is really nice. I got to see where they assemble some of the product and it was pretty cool. When I was waiting for an 84 page report to print, I think I watched a guy test an LCD screen. In the lunch room today, people actually talked to me. Being the new person can be stressful, but so far I have enjoyed myself. I have my own office with a window! That is more than Joel can say as he shares his office with another team member and they do not have a window. I think this job will be challenge, but a good challenge; the kind that keeps you on your toes and asking for more.

I got home from work today around 5:00pm. Just as I was putting the car in park, Joel pulled into the driveway next to me. This is not a good sign. His car stopped working on Friday night; we even had to leave it at his sister’s house. Since Joel normally doesn’t leave his office until 6:30ish, I knew it was something to do with the car. Joel told me that the timing belt had broken and as it whipped around in the engine cavity, it bent some valve shafts. The best case scenario it would cost $1,500 but if it went like the last three Jettas with this problem that the mechanic fixed, it would end up being more like $3,500. Ouch. We had four options; fix the car, fix the car and sell it, not fix the car and sell it, or not fix the car and scrap it. We did the math and some Blue Book research and decided not to fix the car and sell it. Joel put it up on Craigslist and within an hour we had offers. One guy wanted to see the car and was going to bring cash. So we met up with him, sold him the car, and took his cash. We asked $2,000 and got $1,800; not so bad for the situation we were in. So now we are researching new and used cars so Joel will have a vehicle. Right now, he is using his parent’s pick up truck which we borrowed over the weekend for our garden project.

Once we got home, I went to work putting together the dinner I had started before I went to work. I made my Spicy Chicken in our “make-shift-oven-crock-pot” (somehow my crock pot didn’t make the move from Bellingham…). I quickly chopped up from fresh Pico de Gallo, heated up some tortilla shells, opened up two beers and called it dinner. It was so delicious! This is such an easy meal to cook up and it tastes so good. With the left over chicken, tomorrow we are having Chicken Enchiladas for dinner. Yum Yum

After dinner, Joel noticed that mushrooms had started growing in our vegetable starts. There are three of them! I couldn’t believe it! Where on earth did they come from? Right in the middle of our Roma tomatoes are these mushrooms. I thought mushrooms needed the dark to grow, but they are sitting in the brightest spot in the house. This is the craziest day.

Well, Jack Rabbit is begging me for attention. I’m sitting in my office chair, and he keeps standing up on his hind legs, and pawing at my leg. I have never seen him like this before. I don’t think he enjoys me being back at work. No one is home to play with him and he is confined to a much smaller space. I tried to buy his love back with some cilantro but I don’t think he is falling for it. So I better go give him some love before I turn in for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment