Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cutting for Stone - Book Review

I recently finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese for my office book club. I am still not sure how I feel about this story. It took me a long time to connect with the story, but when I did, I was hooked.

The story begins at a mission hospital in Ethiopia and at times I had no idea if what I just read about a person, a place or a thing! The language and names were so different from anything I had previous exposure to, that I found it to be a bit confusing at times. The story didn't start to get interesting until a nun died giving birth to twin boys (what, how did a nun get pregnant?). The boys are then raised by the members of the mission hospital, coming to age as Ethiopia hovers on the brink of a revolution. This is a story of love and betrayal and the ties of family. I found the detailed explanation of medical procedures and life in a hospital to be incredibly interesting.

I think my overall opinion of the book is that I enjoyed it but it won't be a book I want to read again.

No comments:

Post a Comment